Tips to Stop Puppy Biting
Biting is a very common habit amongst the dogs. When teeth start to appear in the mouth they starts to get influenced from the other pack members. During this process they bite each other playfully, this is normal and part of establishing hierarchy in the pack.. Retrievers, Labradors are the most common of them all in terms of biting tendency. In terms of other puppies Rottweiler’s has got the most razor sharp teeth, which if you don’t control can be sometimes fatal when they grow and have extreme power.
Following are Some Few Tips How to Stop Your Puppy from Biting
- Biting is a normal problem. During this time it is advisable to keep the puppies with their mother and other mates till they are 8 weeks old. Which good breeders do! No pup should go to new owners home before 8weeks of age.
- “How much to bite” the puppies learn from how much time they are spending with the mother and other puppies. If the puppy spend less time, than they will not develop the right skill.
- It is important to train them well. Whether they have completed their full cycle in staying with their mother and siblings, still at times they might bite and nip at times. So it is important that you growl at them –same as bitch would, then praise when they are calm and have stopped behavior.
- It is important that the puppy becomes used to many different sounds, volumes and circumstances so that he does not stress and feel a need to bite or run.
Sometimes when your kid is small, they have the tendency to run in the house or backyard. The puppy gets excited by fast moving things. This triggers them to prey drive and they try to nip.
- When we play with our puppies, generally we use fast hand movements. Generally the kids have this tendency, so it must be stopped and adults should teach them to use slow hand movements with calm praise when the puppy is good.
- Puppies always try to seek attention. They try to bite and nip at that time. Rottweiler’s puppies crave for attention. The best treatment is growl at them at the instance- then 2 seconds after they stop call them for a pat or play not to give them attention every time they demand it.
- Sometimes it is seen that if you are out from your home for a long time, they get insecure and exited when you return. To vent their frustrations and excitement they bite and nip. So same as before growl and 2 seconds later call and praise or play (YES you are happy to see them too)
- All dogs have a natural instinct to bite—you can inhibit it or use it, there nothing wrong with biting but you need to channel it to a useful and desirable purpose and outcome for you and the pup. What is NEVER desirable is for the pup to bite you or any human.
- One popular way to stop dogs biting is to spray them with water in the mouth, I do not believe in this- I do not want to inhibit bite I believe in channeling it—besides my dogs would probably attack the water, most of mine cannot wait for the hose to be turned on them-they wanna bite the water.
- Control with puppies is best by use of the growl –aaaargh- followed by praise when behavior ceased.
You can check out Coalfire Rottweiler Training Guide